Today I wanna share / instructions guide on how to unlock bootloader on Nexus 5X. If you are used to unlocking bootloaders on any previous Nexus devices, then this should not be any different for you.
Please read every line carefully and make sure you read the tutorial once before actually performing it on your Android device.
This unlocking bootloader tutorial is only for LG Nexus 5X. Please don’t try this on any other variants of the phone.
|Image LG Nexus 5X source by Google|
This tutorial has been performed on Windows, but anyone familiar with Fastboot on Mac or Linux can perform this as well with the same commands.
Make sure you backup all your data in your phone before proceeding as it will erase all data.
You will void your warranty by unlocking the bootloader.
* Nexus 5X SmartPhone
* Micro USB cable
Android SDK with drivers (How to set up? Tutorial link given below)
Download ADB Fastboot last version => here
NOTE: A new checkbox has been added in the Developer options in Settings that you have to enable before proceeding below with unlocking your bootloader.
First, enable Developer options. Then check the box that says “Enable OEM unlock”. That’s it. Now you can proceed below to the Step 1.
1) – Download Android SDK / Fastboot and install all the USB drivers. How to set up? Read detailed instructions here: How to Set Up ADB / Fastboot with Android SDK.
2) – Enable USB Debugging mode on your Nexus 5X.
3) – If you already have Android SDK, then you can just download Fastboot and extract it inandroid-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory. Create directory if not already there.
4) – Make sure you have backup your data as it will be erased. Then switch OFF your Nexus 5X phone.
5) – Now enter into the Bootloader / Fastboot Mode on Nexus 5X. How? Press Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys for a few seconds till you see some text and the START on the screen. This is the Bootloader Mode which allows Fastboot to communicate with your phone.
6) – Navigate to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools directory and open Command Prompt (Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt).
7) – Type in the following command and press Enter.
fastboot oem unlock
8) – Now follow the on-screen instructions on your phone to confirm the bootloader unlocking and erase all the data, then proceed.
9) – In the end, your Nexus 5X will now reboot itself. Or you can always reboot your phone with the following command if not rebooted automatically.
That’s it! Your Nexus 5X bootloader is now unlocked! You can now install a custom recovery, a custom ROM or any system tweak you like. Just be careful with what you do!